Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 3: Children, Go Where I Send Thee

  I spent seven years working at a summer camp (for those of you who didn't know) and there is one asepct that I truly miss, most of all. The campfires. There's something soothing about sitting around a flame, being entertained, and reflecting on the day, or week...or sometimes an entire summer. One of the bigger pieces of entertainment that we had was a song called "Children, Go Where I Send Thee." Unfortunately, politics allowed that song to be used less and less with each passing year...but, when performed, it was amazing. The song took an unforutnately amount of buildup, and a few rounds before everyone caught on, but by the time we got around to four for the four knocking at my door, everyone was clicking on all cylinders and it truly was one of the more enthusiastic and powerful tools that we used for campfires, and for those weeks who allowed us to employ that tool, the payoff was huge.
  It's pretty awesome to hear that song during this time of the year. The season is about happy memories, and to instantly be taken to a campfire, the smells, the views, the friends...it's pretty awesome...
  So I'll leave you with a couple versions of the song. I'm sure there are many, but unlike most songs that I enjoy, unless it's a group of kids getting fired up and involved and singing along, I just want to hear Natalie Merchant's version...

      Currently Playing: little big town/children, go where i send thee

No comments: